URBANA — No one was injured after a fire caused thousands of dollars worth of damage to a house Sunday.
A release from the Urbana Fire Department said firefighters found smoke coming out of several windows of a split-level home in the 2400 block of East Elm Street about 10:30 a.m.
Firefighters arrived within five minutes of the alarm, and the fire was brought under control in less than 10 minutes. The occupant and their dog were out of the house before the fire department arrived.
The blaze was caused by an accidental cooking fire, an investigation found. The house is no longer habitable. Firefighters estimated damage at $150,000.