Two Chicago-area sisters have been sentenced to probation after pleading guilty to involvement in the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol riot.


Two Chicago-area sisters were each sentenced to 30 months of probation on Tuesday after pleading guilty to involvement in the January 6 U.S. Capitol riots.

Federal prosecutors wanted Trudy Castle and Kimberly DiFrancesco to serve at least 30 days in prison, followed by 36 months of probation and 60 hours of community service.

However, U.S. District Judge Christopher R. Cooper instead sentenced only probation and ordered each to pay $500 in damages and a $2,000 fine.

Castle, who said he manages skyscrapers in downtown Chicago, pleaded guilty to one count of misdemeanor misdemeanors of parading, demonstrating, or picketing at the Capitol building. Acquiring sister Di Francesco also pleaded guilty to the same charges.

Federal officials say they learned of the pair after someone shared a photo DiFrancesco texted to his spouse. He said he had spotted an image of DiFrancesco approaching the doors of the Senate wing of the Capitol, wearing a red hooded sweatshirt, green pants, a black jacket and a black backpack.

Five minutes later, the same woman was seen entering the Capitol through the Senate wing door. He wore several small American flags and had a black school bag.

The women are said to have headed from the northwest side of the building to the elevator lobby near the visitor center on the southeast side. At one point, federal officials said they were able to see Castle walk through a security door that he had tried and failed to block access to the hallway. It is said to have protected or moved the door upwards. According to the records, DiFrancesco was seen following her.

From there, a woman could be seen descending into the lower level visitor center where DiFrancesco appeared to be speaking on a handheld radio.

Federal officials said the women left the building at 3:02 p.m. but did not leave the area. They allegedly sat outside and met a man who the Federal Bureau of Investigation identified as Castle’s adult son.

At 4:21 p.m., the women are said to have attempted to return to the Houses of Parliament. However, law enforcement then pushed aside the mob and the women appeared to have left.


What do you think?

Written by Natalia Chi

Chicago Popular; Chicago breaking news, weather and live video. Covering local politics, health, traffic and sports for Chicago, the suburbs and northwest Indiana.

Leave a Reply

‘Multiple fatalities’ in Walmart, Virginia shooting, police say

Chicago Police Warn of Thieves Stealing Vehicles From Loop Parking Garages