Former President Donald Trump’s staff moved the box the day before the FBI and federal prosecutors visited the Mar-a-Lago mansion in June 2022, a person familiar with the matter confirmed to CBS News. .
A source told CBS News that President Trump’s team was aware of the planned visit in June 2022 and held a so-called dress rehearsal ahead of the visit. Washington Post Reported document movement for the first time.
Exactly what was in the box is unknown.
More than a month later, on August 8, 2022, the FBI arrived unannounced in Mar-a-Lago with a search warrant, combing the premises and recovering allegedly classified documents. President Trump was not informed of the August search. He repeatedly called it a “raid.”
Special Counsel Jack Smith oversees the Justice Department’s criminal investigation into Trump, including his handling of classified information since he took office.
Trump campaign spokesman Steven Zhang said of the allegations that Trump campaign employees were transferred: “This is a hoax designed to interfere in the election and prevent the American people from returning the president to the White House. It’s nothing short of a narrowly politically motivated witch hunt against President Trump.” Sent to the box prior to visits from federal authorities. “…During negotiations to return the documents, President Trump told the chief Justice Department official, ‘Let us know if there is anything we need to do.’ The Justice Department rejected this offer of cooperation. But the raid on Mar-a-Lago proves that the Biden administration has weaponized the Department of Justice and the FBI.”
Former Attorney General Bill Barr He told CBS News last week that the documentary investigation poses the biggest legal threat to Trump.
“There’s not a lot of it on purpose,” Mr. Barr said. “Clearly he didn’t need to have those documents.” “He was given a long time to send them back. And they were summoned. And I’ve been saying all along, maybe just take them away and he’s not going to matter, Biden. is not going to do it.” Either get out of trouble or Mr. Pence won’t get into trouble. ”
President Trump has defended his handling of government documents, even classified ones, since taking office. Last year, he said the president had the ability to declassify documents “just by thinking about it.”
“I was there and I received what I took, but it will be declassified,” the former president told CNN’s Kaitlyn Collins at City Hall earlier this month.
Thank you for reading CBS News.
Create a free account or log in
For even more features.