in

There’s Still Time For 3rd Ward Residents To Weigh In On The Red Line Extension

Advertisements

BRONZEVILLE – South Siders who wish to comment on the proposed Red Line extension can fill out an online questionnaire until Friday.

Ald. Pat Dowell (3rd) launched the poll last week. The CTA is exploring the possibility of extending the popular line from 95th Street and Dan Ryan to 130th Street, but the plan is dependent on funding.

The 5.6-mile, $3.6 billion extension would add four stations near 103rd Street, 111th Street, 116th Street and Michigan Avenue and 130th Street. Riders would be able to connect to buses, bicycles and park and ride facilities at each station.

60% of the funding would come from federal coffers, while the remaining 40% would come from CTA, bonds, grants and other local sources. No state money will be used.

CTA proposes creating a Red Line Extension TIF that “would generate nearly $950 million” for the project, with 3rd Ward Properties contributing $201.7 million, or 21% of the total TIF allocation , according to the CTA.

The survey asks residents if they support the use of TIF funding for the long-planned project, how they might benefit from the Red Line service extension and what they want the TIF money to be used for.

All responses and identifying information will remain confidential.

A map of the proposed Red Line extension can be found here.

Listen to “It’s All Good: A Block Club Chicago Podcast”:

Advertisements
Advertisements

What do you think?

Written by Natalia Chi

Chicago Popular; Chicago breaking news, weather and live video. Covering local politics, health, traffic and sports for Chicago, the suburbs and northwest Indiana.

Leave a Reply

A Chicago private school defends LGBTQ sex ed after right-wing viral video

Viktor Bout, the world’s number one