Seven Michigan State football players charged in tunnel brawl


Seven Michigan football players charged post-match brawl In a tunnel at Michigan Stadium last month, according to a statement Wednesday by the Washtenaw County Attorney’s Office.

The most serious charges are against cornerback Curry Crump, who faces felony assault charges. The charges against the other six are misdemeanors. Linebacker Itayvion “Tank” Brown, safety Angelo Rose, cornerback Justin White, defensive end Brandon Wright, and defensive end Zion Young were each charged with one count of aggravated assault, while linebacker Jacoby Windmon charged him. 1 count assault and face the battery.

The Michigan player has not been charged. They’re ahead of their final regular-season game: Hours before the Spartans wrap up at Penn State’s No. 11, No. 3 Michigan will face rival No. 2 Ohio State on Saturday with a win to qualify for the bowl. is required.

On October 29, the then-No. 4 Wolverines defeated the Spartans, 29-7. In social media posts, Michigan State players pushed, punched, and kicked Michigan’s Jaden McBurrows in or near a hallway that didn’t lead to his room in either locker. It was seen that there was. A video can be seen of Brown, Grose, and Young getting body-to-face with McBurrows.

McBurrows and defensive back Gemon Green climbed the tunnel alongside the Spartans after the game while many of Michigan’s teams waved off the field after beating their in-state rivals for the first time in three years. I was.

In another post, Green is surrounded by police while yelling across a tunnel at a Michigan State player.

clamp in one video It looks like he’s waving his helmet at a player from Michigan. This could account for a more serious charge, which carries a maximum of four years in prison for him. State law defines violent assault as an attack “using knives, iron bars, clubs, brass knuckles, or other dangerous weapons with no intent to commit murder or cause serious bodily harm.” I’m explaining.

Misdemeanor assault convictions carry a maximum sentence of one year in prison, and assault and misdemeanor assault charges carry a maximum sentence of 93 days in prison.

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh said one of the players he didn’t identify may have broken his nose. He said he was attacked when he tried.

The prosecution’s statement did not provide details of the charges, including who hit whom. The office added it would not comment further as the case progressed. It is not clear when the accused player will first appear in court.

Michigan State’s athletic director and football coach did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Michigan President Santa J. Ono said in a statement Wednesday that the school appreciated the “thoughtful and prudent approach of the Washtenaw County Attorney’s Office to this unfortunate incident.”

“I also want to express my concern to everyone involved, especially the injured players,” Ono said. “The University of Michigan continues to cooperate fully with any additional investigations into this matter.”

Attorney Tom Mars, representing Greene, said he was “not at all surprised by the prosecutor’s decision” after the charges were filed.

Mars was asked if the client could sue over the brawl.

“We don’t want this to be a distraction for Michigan football, and neither is Gemon,” Mars said.

Michigan State coach Mel Tucker has suspended eight players, including Malcolm Jones, who has not been charged.

After the Oct. 29 incident, Michigan President Samuel Stanley publicly apologized for the “violent” skirmish.

“I am deeply saddened by this incident and the unacceptable behavior displayed by members of our football program,” Stanley said in a statement. I sincerely apologize to you.”


What do you think?

Written by Natalia Chi

Chicago Popular; Chicago breaking news, weather and live video. Covering local politics, health, traffic and sports for Chicago, the suburbs and northwest Indiana.

Leave a Reply

Boy, 9, falls through ice while playing football with friend in Aurora; friend’s mom jumps in to help

Brighton park pedestrian death is second fatal hit-and-run in three days, police say