Two of Metra’s busiest routes, which serve much of Chicago’s western and northwestern suburbs, will be rescheduled after Memorial Day.
Metra’s Union Pacific West and Union Pacific Northwest lines will receive updated schedules that better reflect operating conditions and “the most beneficial service pattern for passengers,” the transit agency said.
Service changes to the Union Pacific Northwest and Union Pacific West lines will last on April 3 and December 5, 2022, respectively, at which time the service will operate more trips than previously served routes. has been extended to include
Metra officials said the upcoming changes, which will also include some platform changes on the two lines, will help alleviate the problems the revised schedule poses for on-time service.
Changes for both the Union Pacific Northwest and Union Pacific West lines will take effect on Tuesday, May 30.
The Union Pacific Northwest Line runs from Ogilvie Transit Center to Harvard and includes a total of 23 stops throughout Cook and McHenry Counties.
The line also serves Crystal Lake, Fox River Grove, Arlington Heights, Mount Prospect and Park Ridge, among others.
The Union Pacific West Line has 19 stations and runs from Ogilvie Transportation Center to Elburn, with major stops at Geneva, Wheaton, Elmhurst and Oak Park.
The following schedule, track and platform changes will take effect on the Union Pacific Northwest Line on May 30.
- Up trains 618, 632, 658 and 662 all leave Des Plaines in 5-6 minutes (:07 seconds).
- The 651 train leaves Chicago at 5:07 PM (two minutes behind the current schedule).
- The 653 train leaves Chicago at 5:05 PM (two minutes earlier than the current schedule).
- The 647 train arrives at Harvard University six minutes later at 6:23 PM.
- The 706 train stops at Irving Park every weekend, not just during Cubs home games.
- Trains 620, 622, 624, 634 and 636 will no longer use the Central Line platform from Palatine to Cumberland.
- Trains 639 and 651 will use the Central Line platform for boarding from Jefferson Park through Des Plaines.
- 643 and 657 trains will no longer use the Central Line platform for boarding at Clybourne and Desplaines stations.
The following schedule, track and platform changes will take effect on the Union Pacific West Line on May 30.
- Train 13 has additional stops at Glen Ellyn, Wheaton and West Chicago.
- Train 15 terminates service at La Fox.
- Trains 43 and 47 have additional stops at Villa Park and West Chicago.
- Train 49 arrives in Elburn five minutes later at 6:30 PM.
- All trains departing from or arriving in Chicago after 7:40 p.m. stop at both Melrose Park and Maywood.
For more information on Metra routes and schedules, see Metra Routes and Schedules. website.