in

Judge orders release of video of attack on Nancy Pelosi’s husband

Advertisements

sacramento — Footage of Attack on Former US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s Husband It will be released to the public after a judge on Wednesday denied a request for non-disclosure from prosecutors.

San Francisco Superior Court Judge Stephen M. Murphy ruled there was no reason to keep the footage secret, especially after prosecutors played the footage in open court during a preliminary hearing last month, said a San Francisco-based attorney. said Thomas R. Burke, CBS News, Associated Press, and many other news outlets trying to access the evidence.

The San Francisco District Attorney’s Office turned over the evidence to Murphy on Wednesday after a court hearing. Murphy asked the court clerk’s office to distribute it to the media.

Nancy Pelosi’s husband, Paul Pelosi, was sleeping at the couple’s San Francisco home on Oct. 28 when someone broke in and hit him with a hammer. Prosecutors have indicted his 42-year-old David DePape in connection with the attack.

President Biden to Host 2022 NBA Champions Golden State Warriors
Rep. Nancy Pelosi and her husband Paul Pelosi (top center) during an event hosting the Golden State Warriors in the East Room of the White House on January 17, 2023.

Aldrago/Bloomberg via Getty Images


At a preliminary hearing last month, prosecutors found parts of Paul Pelosi’s 911 call, as well as CCTV footage from Capitol Police, body cameras worn by two officers who arrived at the house, and Depap police. I played a video of an interview with

But when news outlets requested copies of that evidence, the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office refused to release it. sparked intense speculation from the conducive public.

The district attorney’s office argued that releasing the footage publicly would only allow people to manipulate it to spread false information.

However, the news outlet argued that it was essential for prosecutors to publicly share evidence that could debunk the false information swirling around the internet about the attack.

“Public access rights cannot be ruled out because of conspiracy concerns,” Burke said.

The San Francisco District Attorney’s Office did not respond to an email from the Associated Press seeking comment.

News agencies seeking to release the footage also included The New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Press Democrat, CNN, Fox News, ABC, NBC and NPR member KQED. San Francisco radio station.

DePape pleaded not guilty to six charges last month, including attempted murder. According to police, DePape said he intended to harm Nancy Pelosi because there is “evil in Washington” and Nancy Pelosi is second only to the president.

After the midterm elections, Democrats lost their majority in the House. Republicans elected California Republican Rep. Kevin McCarthy as the new chairman. Pelosi will remain in the House of Representatives, but he will step down as leader of the Democratic Party. She was replaced by Hakeem Jeffries of New York.

Advertisements
Advertisements

What do you think?

Written by Natalia Chi

Chicago Popular; Chicago breaking news, weather and live video. Covering local politics, health, traffic and sports for Chicago, the suburbs and northwest Indiana.

Leave a Reply

Princeton FFA Alumni to sell pork chops during Jan. 31 basketball game

Fireball Cinnamon mini bottles contain no whisky, lawsuit claims