It was July 4, 1667 when Antonio Stradivari entered his wedding house for the first time together with his wife Francesca Ferraboschi. In that place the famous Cremonese luthier lived for several years and created extraordinary stringed instruments. Today the Casa is reborn after an articulated restoration work at the instigation of the Casa Stradivari Foundation as a lutherie workshop for young craftsmen and a cultural centre.
Casa Stradivari was inaugurated yesterday, exactly 356 years after that day, in the presence of the authorities. It will host a training space for young luthiers on the ground floor, right where Stradivari had his workshop. The luthier apprentices will attend an 18-month course under the guidance of internationally renowned masters. The other floors, on the other hand, will host rooms for in-depth studies and instrumental training, a library and a residence that will regularly host artists engaged in various disciplines, called to develop cultural projects.
The new activities of Casa Stradivari will start in the autumn thanks to the institutional collaboration between the Casa Stradivari Foundation, the Municipality of Cremona and the “A. Stradivari” Violin Museum Foundation.
“Casa Stradivari – reads the message from the Minister of Enterprise and Made in Italy Adolfo Urso – will be a cultural hub for young people and will also host established artists. In this setting, you will certainly be able to create a fertile environment for the growth of new talents and business start-ups for young luthiers”.
A place therefore that will not only be open to citizens and tourists, but dedicated to the training of luthiers and violinists from all over the world. The building, with a medieval-Lombard layout, will also host courses and masters to learn lutherie, the ancient art of designing, building and restoring stringed instruments (such as violins, cellos, violas, double basses), which among the 13 Unesco awards assigned to the Lombardy Region, as Intangible Heritage of Humanity.