A woman breathes hours after being pronounced dead at a New York funeral home


Authorities said the 82-year-old woman was pronounced dead at a New York nursing home, but was found breathing at a funeral home three hours later.The incident happened just a few days after similar accident Found in Iowa.

The woman was pronounced dead at 11:15 a.m. Saturday at Water’s Edge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Port Jefferson, Long Island, Suffolk County Police said.

The woman, whose name was not released, was taken to hospital. OB Davis Funeral Home Police said in a news release at Miller Place at 1:30 p.m. She was found breathing at 2:09 p.m., they said.

OB Davis Funeral Home in Miller Place, New York.


The woman was taken to hospital. An update on her condition was not available on Monday.

Police said the case was referred to the state attorney general’s office for investigation.

The state health department is investigating as well, and spokeswoman Monica Pomeroy added that she could not comment further.

An email has been sent to the nursing home requesting comment. The person who answered the phone there on Monday hung up.according to news release Posted last month, Water’s Edge Rehab and Nursing Center was recognized as one of the Best Nursing Homes by US News & World Report for 2022-2023.

A funeral home official said in a statement: “Out of respect for the privacy and confidentiality of the families we are honored to serve, we are not in a position to comment further on this matter.

The apparently premature declaration of death came days after the Iowa continuous care facility died. $10,000 fine for similar episodes.

A 66-year-old woman was pronounced dead on Jan. 3 at the Glen Oaks Alzheimer’s Special Care Center in Urbandale, where she was receiving hospice care, officials said.

Authorities said the woman was placed in a body bag and taken to the Ankeny Funeral Home and Crematorium, where she found herself breathing and called 911.

They “observed[the resident’s]chest moving and she gasped,” the report said. said.

She was returned to hospice care, where she died on January 5, according to a report issued last week by the Iowa Office of Examination and Appeals.

“We are in close contact with the resident’s family and have just completed an investigation by the Office of Inspections and Appeals into this matter,” Lisa Eastman, executive director of the facility, told CBS News. “We care deeply about our residents and are committed to supporting their end-of-life care. All employees receive regular training to maximize the end-of-life care and death of our residents. We are ready to support you.”


What do you think?

Written by Natalia Chi

Chicago Popular; Chicago breaking news, weather and live video. Covering local politics, health, traffic and sports for Chicago, the suburbs and northwest Indiana.

Leave a Reply

As Haley Mansion begins repairs after fire, couple hoping they can keep wedding plans there

Crew Releases Toxic Chemicals From Derailed Train In Ohio